Sunday, October 22nd 2006

New Firefox Theme: Saturated

I got a bit inspired this evening and decided to create a slightly tweaked version of the original Firefox 2 theme. Here’s how it turned out:

Screenshot of Saturated, a theme for Firefox based on the original theme of Firefox 2.

This is basically what I wanted the new Firefox 2 theme to look like. I think they made it a little too pale (which was a concious decision), but thanks to the wonderful nature of Firefox I can just change it any way I like! Also, I can share my changes with anyone who wants them.

Edit: Here is the original theme for comparison:

Screenshot of the original theme of Firefox 2.

So, to all of those who think that the default Firefox 2 theme is too pale, I give you…

Saturated 1.0

No Responses to this post:

1. ogirtd says:

Nice, although I don’t really like the default Fx theme.Posting it to AMO?BTW, right click + “save link as” saving a .htm file. To fix it you’ll need to change the href from “#” to the JAR file.

Yeah, I already have posted it to AMO. Waiting for review.I think I tried having the .jar file linked instead, but that wasn’t good either. That would pop up first the theme install box, and then the save dialogue.

3. ogirtd says:

Just look at the code at AMO – there you can right click and save the files.

I sort of tried that, but it looked so complicated… 🙁 I’ll give it another try perhaps.

5. Devin says:

I agree that the default theme is too dim but theres one problem with your theme… on Linux (Fedora Core 5) your theme makes the main toolbar buttons too tall (Back, Forward, Reload, Stop).

6. Anonymous says:

Very nice work, thanks!

@devin. Ok. Yeah, I only have a windows machine so I can only make this for windows. If someone would like to “port” it for Linux and Mac It’d be great.

8. Anonymous says:

very nice, really easy on my eyes 🙂

9. Anonymous says:

You just fixed my first FF2 annoyance, thanks!

10. Anonymous says:

Thank you. Buggfix number1 for FF2 ;P

I’m glad to hear I wasn’t the only one thinking along the lines of “a splash of colour wouldn’t have been a bad thing”.

12. Anonymous says:

Nice work! I like the extra touch of color. BTW, you’ve been Slashdotted (or at least Slashdot-commented).

13. Anonymous says:

forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is “AMO”?

amo = addons.mozilla.org

15. Ibrahim says:

Wow, very nice theme. So much better than the default. I’ll be sure to recommend this to all my friends once they get 2.0.

16. Anonymous says:

Quick note: to install the jar file, you can use this link (linked to by developer.mozilla.org):http://www.eightlines.com/neil/mozskin/installjar.html

17. Anonymous says:

You do realize that the buttons go to their full color when you mouse over them in the default theme, right?

How weird. I’ve been developing themes for two years and hadn’t noticed!:D

19. Anonymous says:

I’m an idiot how do i install this thing?Can’t find any menu option, and can find it on AMO to use install link.Tried the link above http://www.eightlines.com/neil/mozskin/installjar.htmlthat doesn’t work either..thanks

20. Anonymous says:

@Anonymous:Tools > Add-ons > ThemesThen once you have the Themes window open, click and drag the Saturated 1.0 link to the Themes window. It’ll verify whether you want to install it.Anyway, I notice a few bugs on this theme too when viewing in Media Center (Royale) style. The text on the location and search bars are too small, and the titles on the tabs move up and down when selecting and deselecting them.

21. Branstrom says:

I love you!

You do?

23. Anonymous says:

Thank you,David…Your saturated theme is indeed a much appreciated improvement. Makes Firefox look way better in my current OS colors. Thank you again. Any possibility you could create an icon to replace Firefox 2.0’s really ugly New Tab? It’s so not in keeping with the rest of the UI! The navigation icons are elegant and it looks like a childish rough draft. As a side note I had to post this from IE! Your verification symbols do not display in Firefox 2.0… I haven’t used IE in so long, so you know how much I appreciate your theme improvements if I’d post from IE just to say thanks! -Lady Tequiza-

24. Savage Alien says:

Love it! That’s exactly what I was looking for from the moment I loaded up FF2.I got a few bugs for you, though, in the tab bar [pics at bottom of comment] No padding or text problems that I notice? Hmm. Anyway, keep up the good work, David!Tab bar Bug 1Tab bar bug 2

25. Savage Alien says:

checked it out on my laptop [uses Windows Classic visual style] and the tab bug is a no show, so maybe it’s a conflict with LunaElement v5 visual style? the default theme isn’t buggy…. Very strange.

26. Savage Alien says:

turns out it’s a conflict with the Tab Mix Plus extension… bummer. Maybe they’ll fix whatever the problem is if there is one with their official TBP FF2 release.

27. Andy says:

This is the default theme on my FF2. Nice work dude! Thanks.

28. Irving Gohard says:

Perfect — exactly as advertised, subtle but definite improvement, nice to find this amongst the many heavy-handed themes…

29. georgedonnelly says:

great theme, any chance of updating it for FF 3.0? Thanks.

Sadly, no. I don’t have the time and energy, and it would entail loads of work in making new icons and buttons.Should anyone else want to take it on, feel free to send me a note or just go ahead.

31. Anonymous says:

I hope you update it for Firefox 3 !It’s my favorite !

32. Anonymous says:

please update to fit firefox 3, i love it.

33. mp3 indir says: