Saturday, October 1st 2005

AllOfMP3 Shows The Way Forward

iTunes and the others have a thing or two to learn from AllOfMP3.com.

You fill your AllOfMP3 account balance with a minimum 10 USD before you can start downloading. Then you order your songs, at a cost of $0.02 per MB. Thus, how expensive your song turns out depends on what encoding and quality you choose:

Encoding choices att allofmp3.com

I tend to choose ogg vorbis at ~128 kbps, since I only know of one part of one song that I can tell from the uncompressed original at that bitrate – and I have to concentrate like mad to do so… That means most songs cost about $0.06–0.08. This really gets you into a shopping mood 🙂

The songs are encoded after you order them, and you receive an (optional) email when they’re done. All songs I’ve ordered so far have been ready within 30 mins. Then you just log back in and get them. Actually, I think I’ll turn the email notification off – you get one email for each track if you order a whole album… So far I think that’s about the only negative thing I can think of about this music shop. Check it out.

No Responses to this post:

1. jer says:

My questions is why you’d want to pay some company for illegal mp3/ogg files when you can just steal them yourself for free?

Well, about the legality: Swedish authorities have not yet reached a verdict on whether buying music from allofmp3.com is illegal or not, and they have also said that they won’t be prosecuting anyone was doing so before they reached that verdict.Then there are a few positive sides even if it were actually illegal: 1) I can choose a format to match the rest of my music collection and 2) they have a very wide selection of songs. (I’m not saying I will carry on buying their music if it actually is determined to be illegal.)

3. jer says:

Well, the thing is, I really don’t think Swedish Law affects you much. Whether or not the Swedes find it to be legal, you are still buying unlicensed music here in the US.Also, isn’t allthemp3.com located in Russia?

4. jer says:

er, are you in Sweden?

yes I am

6. jer says:

Isn’t it fun seeing people realize how centric their viewpoint on the world is? I constantly catch myself doing stuff that 🙂

Heh. You’re not the only one, rest assured. 🙂

8. Anonymous says:

Actually, it isn’t as obvious as you claim that the music from the allofmp3.com is legal in the US or not. The company is located in Russia and Dept. of Commerce there still hasn’t labeled their downloads as illegal. Here in the US, it is still legal to import music that’s licensed in other contries, and our legislation still didn’t specify that music downloaded from other country is “NOT IMPORT”.

No, your right. I was in fact just reading up on these things when you posted… Here:http://www.museekster.com/allofmp3faq.htm