Tuesday, February 15th 2005
What looks like the upcoming C70 from Volvo is being winter-tested somewhere in Scandinavia. The following sites have the photos:
The Car Connection.com
The articles refer to the car as the upcoming S80, but I strongly doubt it is – for several reasons:
- It looks too small to be the new S80.
- The four doors are fake – look closely in this picture and you can see that there are only two doors underneath the plastic camouflage.
- It has several design cues which indicate kinship to the present S40 and V50. (Headlights, shark-fin aerial, wing-mirrors with indicators, rear lights.) Volvo have previously said that the new C70 will be more closely related to the S40 than the S60/V70.
- The timing of these photos indicate that they show the C70, which is the next planned major release from Volvo. (Similar photos circulated just before the release of the S40 and V50. See the end of this page.)
- The profile looks too coupé-ish to be an S80.
If I’m wrong about the doors being fake, it could possibly be the next S60 – but I believe that car isn’t due for release for at least another 18-24 months.
There are several on-going discussions on the topic: